Sunday 20 January 2013

Les Miserables - A picture of Humanity in need of Grace

Growing up, I fell in love with Musical Theater, I mean what was there not to love? Handsome, dashing men, and not only did they dance, but they danced like they did it all day, every day, like even when they were showering or making eggs. They made adventure breathless, and even in the face of lost causes, unrequited love and certain death they could sing, and when they did the entire world stopped to listen. So, when I saw that Les Miserables was going to be in theaters, I was thrilled, and now, after seeing it, continue to be amazed not so much by the surface singing and production which was brilliant, but instead by the depth of the story that Victor Hugo wanted to tell.

Though as a teenager I researched and read anything I could get my hands on about Les Miserables, the story, the performers, and what was going on in each of the songs - I once picked up a volume of the book, and found it was bigger than my Bible. Since I hadn't quite made it through that, I figured there was little to no chance of making it through Les Mis. So, I stuck to entwining myself in the poetry of the songs. As I learned about how to look into poetry, I found that this was so much more than just a story about a con man, a prostitute, a little girl and a revolution, this is a story of forgiveness and redemption.

I have always been struck by the similarities between Jean Valjean and Javert. Though the classic protagonist and antagonist, the depth of these characters is astounding - and they are two sides of the very same coin.  Valjean is released on parole after twenty years in prison, and after failing to reestablish his meager life, he is taken in by a kind priest. Desperate Valjean runs, and steals from the priest, opening up for himself the perfect opportunity to be sent right back to prison.  Instead of reacting the way most of us do when violated, the priest does something unexpected.

Constable: You maintain he (the bishop) made a present of his silver...
Bishop: That is right. But, my friend you left so early, surely something slipped your mind. You forgot, I gave these (candlesticks) also, would you leave the best behind? ...and remember this my brother, see in this some higher plan, you must use this precious silver to become an honest man, by the witness of the martyrs, by the passion and the blood, God has raised you out of darkness, I have bought your soul for God.

To me, this is what Christ does for people, and the Bishops actions show Christ. The Bishop could look at Valjean in the face after Valjean is caught with what is clearly the Bishop's silver. Instead of condemning Valjean back to prison, the Bishop loves him instead.  He looks beyond and sees what Valjean may become instead of what Valjean believes that he is, a common thief. Something changes in Valjean,

Valjean: Yet why did I allow that man, to touch my soul and teach me love? He treated me like any other, he gave me his trust, he called me brother. My life he claims for God above, can such things be? For I had come to hate the world, the world that always hated me...He told me that I have a soul, how does he know? What spirit comes to move my life? Is there another way to go? I'll escape now from the world...Jean Valjean is nothing now, another story must begin. 

The change in his life isn't easy on Valjean, though he tries to live his own life by the example that the priest set, it isn't always simple and he makes his own mistakes.  Embracing forgiveness - especially the kind that Christ offers, when one looks back on their own life, isn't necessarily something we all want to face. When we look back we focus on the things we've done wrong, and truly believe that those things are far too big to ever be forgiven. These thoughts are echoed in the character of Javert. Though I believe that Javert is what he considers to be a "good man" at heart, he cannot accept forgiveness for a past mistake, nor can he give it.

Javert: I've hunted you across the years, men like you can never change...Men like me can never change, men like you can never change...my duty's too the law...Every man is born in sin, every man must choose his way...I was born with scum like you, I am from the gutter too.

Javert's own sense of righteousness, and belief in an unforgiving God, has propelled him into a form of religion that demands that if he follows the law, then he will be redeemed from the sinfulness of his own life.  Since it is impossible for him to find forgiveness, and reconcile himself with grace, there is no way that he can do any different for Valjean.  Javert bases his life on "works" - or doing the things that make him think that he will pull himself above condemnation, making him worthy. Valjean on the other hand, has to live with a lot of grace.  He is forced into hiding his true identity, but at the same time, is conscious of the fact that he must do what is right, even when what is right sacrifices his own happiness.  When he meets Fantine, and ultimately condemns her to a similar fate, for a similar non-existent crime, just as he was wronged thirty years earlier, he believes that he has to make up his wrong to her, which ultimately blesses him with a daughter.  When he is confronted by Javert's announcement that another man has been accused of Valjean's crime, he knows that he must step in and right that wrong despite the fact that he will face the accusation of his peers, would lose his position and his wealth all in one night.

Valjean: Who am I? Can I condemn this man to slavery? Pretend I do not see his agony?... Can I conceal myself forever more? Pretend I'm not the man I was before?...How can I ever face myself again?My soul belongs to God I know, I made that bargain long ago. He gave me hope when hope was gone, he gave me strength to journey on, who am I?

This is something that Javert can't reconcile to himself. Instead of seeing Valjean's act of mercy toward him as a kindness, he sees Valjean having dominion over him.  To look at the acts good or bad in his life, he can only see that Valjean has somehow bested him, instead of changing, like Valjean did.


Javert: And must I now begin to doubt, who never doubted all these years? My heart is stone and still it trembles, the world I have known is lost in shadow, is he from heaven or from hell? That by granting me my life today, this man has killed me even so? 

There is deep sadness in his words for me. Yet, turning away from grace and forgiveness happens many times in this life.  Javert felt that the world he lived in, believed in could not be changed, and so believed that the only honorable way to justify himself was to bring it to an end. In the end it was that he didn't know that grace and forgiveness intersect and rock our personal sense of righteousness, and shake us to our very core.  The resulting change though not easy to reconcile at first can take an unforgivable life and propel it into grace.

Valjean: One day more, another day, another destiny, this never ending road to Calvary...

This line always struck me, and stood out to me.  It reminded me of a Bible verse, Luke 9:23 "Then he said to them all 'whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves, and take up their cross daily and follow me." Every day, living for Christ, following Christ takes work, for me it means checking myself when I am about to speak, treating people with kindness especially those I have judged, and growing, slowly growing every day.  When you live in grace and forgiveness, you can extend these to those around you in any circumstance, for it has already been extended to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

all the sins we see

He raped me. My friend, sweet and gentle, said it straight out like she was talking about the movie we'd seen not too long ago toget...