Sunday 28 July 2013

From Beginning to End

 Life is so precious. Unfortunately we often don't take the time out to focus on that, being caught up with the busy-ness of the moment.  There are times that stretch out for me, months and months where everything seems to remain as it always was.  Then there are weeks like the one I've just had - that seem to be about the big things of life, the beginnings and the endings. 

My dear friend got married this week. I have seen her wait for the right man, pray for the right man, and now marry him.  I love weddings, the way families and friends come together.  Weddings offer such a beautiful hope for love, and for the future.  I could see the love clear across the face of my friend and her new husband - and it reminded me of something that I sometimes forget.  I still love like that too.  Weddings are the greatest celebration of the bringing together of two lives with an expectant hope looking forward.  Of course no one can guess what a marriage will bring them, my spirit is refreshed in an atmosphere of expectant hope, joy and love.  It was the same with my friend's wedding.  I know that I can't promise my friend that everything will always be perfect, but that seed of hope and joy will grow into something beautiful.

The endings are harder to explain, and difficult to understand,when the people we love are gone.  There have been a few this week, some I am not so connected to that make me angry or sad because of the injustice and the cruelty to the family.  But, one in particular has broken my heart.  She was a wonderful and kind lady, with a gentle heart, a sweet spirit, and a beautiful laugh.   I don't understand her passing, only that even in the midst of sadness and tragedy, God still loves us.  He doesn't cause bad things to happen, but we can cling to him as we walk through them.  I suppose in this way, endings are important too.  It all forces me to remember that it isn't about the little things that crowd around and demand attention.  Instead, it is more about the opportunities I am given to listen to people, to help people, and to love them.

Now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story no one on earth has ever read, which goes on forever; in which every chapter is better than the one before.  - C.S. Lewis

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

all the sins we see

He raped me. My friend, sweet and gentle, said it straight out like she was talking about the movie we'd seen not too long ago toget...